Entries ♥

Monday, February 25, 2008

25 December 2008

Dear viewer,
It's 8.40pm. I was still slacking. Physic test was terrible. I totally leave blank for page 2 and 3. The possibility of me failing physic is getting higher. Todays chinese test was worst. I was trying to act out some mood to do chinese but in the end I still give up. I was yawning after I have completed my comprehension. I started off with doing the last page. MCQ question I just randomly put the number in. Mrs nicholas pass me and anna the compo and I FAILED!!!! ALAMAK!!! with 12 upon 30 and anna 16/20!!! WHAT the!!! Bio lesson, I don't know what she is talking about. Keep talking about the genes and allele. O great men! I think it's the last chapter of BIO. As for account lesson, I was kind of catching up with the lesson but not sure how long can I hang on.
I heard that we are changing seating plan TMR. Be quick!! I want to switch seats.

Music as theraphy
by Selina I. Glater, M.A., RMT
I first heard about music therapy when I was twelve years old, and I was intrigued from the very beginning. Music for me was both a therapeutic and an aesthetic experience. It helped me through a myriad of childhood illnesses; it was there to soothe me, to enliven my spirits and to provide emotional outlet, through performance. In those formative years my self esteem grew by leaps and bounds from the accolades I received performing on the violin. I have always possessed qualities of warmth, sensitivity, and compassion for others who are physically and emotionally ill. Music made it possible for me to establish a relationship with the world outside of myself. Music is one of the most social art forms in that it creates communication between people in many different ways. It provides for non-threatening interaction. For some this may mean an escape (if even for a few short moments) from the closed world of illness. Severe and persistent illness may isolate a patient and threaten his or her identity. This can be especially true when the patient is hospitalized or depersonalized by the illness. A music therapy group activity may give such a patient an opportunity for self-assertion and a sense of belonging to a group where he or she is accepted. Music therapy group activities demand interpersonal cooperation and and interpersonal communication. As the therapist, I must be in rigorous control of my own emotions. The relationship between me, as music therapist, and the client is the basic catalyst for change. I must be able to resonate with the client's feelings and perceive an accurate view of the client's internal frame of reference. Above all it is imperative that I remain non-judgemental and accepting of the client, which is rarely a simple feat. My philosophy of music therapy is an eclectic one that encompasses concepts found in Rogerian psychotherapy (Humanistic), Cognitive Behaviorism, and Jungian psychotherapy (Analytical). It is the judicious use of these three approaches, depending on the client population, that remains crucial for my work as a music therapist. To see how this works I will introduce you to a composite person whom we shall call "Lee", and a set of circumstances and interventions that have shown promising results with very ill and difficult patients.

Labels: , ,